Wellwood is committed to enhancing the quality of life for people living with and affected by cancer. We provide supportive care programs in a compassionate and healing environment. The care process emphasizes the uniqueness of each person and is conducive to exploring the physical, emotional, social and spiritual dimensions of a life-threatening illness.
Program themes include: Peer Support; Exercise & Movement; Creative Expression; Meditation & Relaxation; Information & Navigation. We also offer a range of retreats and workshops throughout the year.
Our programs are client-driven, peer-facilitated and self-directive. All are free of charge.
About our facilitators
All of Wellwood's programs and services are delivered by skilled volunteers, who give generously of their time and talents. Volunteer program leaders are screened for their expertise and credentials. Wellwood offers regular, ongoing training to its volunteers. Our strength is our ability to share our cancer experiences with others. We welcome your thoughts and input on how we can meet your needs.
- One-on-One Peer Mentoring
- Support and Discussion Group for Women with Gynecological Cancer
- Breast Cancer Support - The First Two Years
- Guys' Night In: Support for Men Under 40
- Men's Night In: Support for Guys Over 40
- Grimsby Support Group
- "KIDS in the Kitchen/POWER-UP"
- PA & Summer Camp Days for Kids
Exercise & Movement
Meditation & Relaxation
Information & Navigation
Wellwood has a small lending library of carefully selected books, videos and resource materials that may be of some assistance, information or comfort on your journey. Please visit the office to make a selection.
Navigational Assistance to Access Services
One of the services that is provided by Wellwood volunteers and staff is to help people to navigate the complex cancer health care system to find and access services that exist in the community. Please contact us for more information.
Wellwood also hosts:
- MPN (Myeloproliferative Neoplasms) Support Group (Contact Donna at 905-389-1278)
- AAMAC (Aplastic Anemia Myelodysplasia Association of Canada) Support Group (Contact 1-888-840-0039)
- Look Good Feel Better (Register online at www.lgfb.ca)
- VON Caregiver Series (Contact Miriam at 905-523-1055, ext. 408)